Our Community Access Programs assist students to achieve their expressed goals, increase independence and become a valued participating member of the community. The programs create opportunities for recreation while enhancing sociability and increasing life skills.
Experienced staff members support students to participate in activities, assist with travel and all other aspects of community access. The programs are carefully planned and are chosen to promote skills such as choice, interaction, socialisation, accompanied travel, responsible citizenship, basic etiquette and basic personal hygiene.
Swimming provides the following benefits:
- Promotes a sense of wellbeing
- Maximises body function and independence
- Improves mood and increases self-esteem
- Endorses water safety principles
- Provides fitness opportunities
Travel training provides the following benefits:
- Increased confidence and independence
- Money handling/swipe card skills
- Identification of local landmarks and facilities
- Enhanced community access/social interaction opportunities