The study of English is central to the learning and development of all young Australians.
Leda ESC is committed to the development of a high-quality curriculum for all students. We believe that all students are entitled to rigorous, relevant and engaging learning programs drawn from a challenging curriculum that addresses their individual learning needs.
Our teachers develop teaching and learning programs that build on students' interests, strengths, goals and learning needs, while addressing the needs of all students.
- We believe that each student can learn
- That each student is entitled to knowledge, understanding and skills that provide a foundation for successful and lifelong learning and participation in the community
- That high expectations should be set for each student
- That the needs and interests of students will vary, and that we will plan in ways that respond to those needs and interests.
DI (Direct Instruction)
Students across the Centre engage in regular sessions of Direct Instruction Reading and Spelling. The program is teacher directed and follows a structure incorporating specific steps to guide the students toward clearly defined learning outcomes. The effectiveness of Direct Instruction is supported by substantial research.
The features of Direct Instruction (DI) at Leda ESC include:
- Explicit, systematic instruction based on scripted lesson plans.
- Ability grouping based on each child’s rate of progression through the program.
- Emphasis on pace and efficiency of instruction – the lessons are designed to bring students to mastery as quickly as possible.
- Frequent assessment which helps place students in ability groups and identify students who require additional intervention.